The Dalai Lama – aka 18 ways to get through midterms, a hell week, or your life
- For some reason, I didn’t know about this until a few days ago.
I would say I’m extremely interested in the Dalai Lama. The history of the title, and the Dalai Lama’s ability to essentially be respected globally, is unlike that of any Western politician. Although it is considered to be a religious role, his teachings are applicable to most, if not all people living today.
- The Dalai Lama wrote a list of 18 “Rules for Living”, and it really got me thinking. His points are so simple, and I am really going to make an effort to try and follow them to the best of my ability.
- Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
- When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
- Follow the three Rs:
- Respect for self
- Respect for others
- Responsibility for all your actions.
- Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
- Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
- When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
- Spend some time alone every day.
- Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
- A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
- In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
- Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
- Be gentle with the earth.
- Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
- Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
- Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
I know that not all of us are saints, I’m far from perfect, but it’s definitely something to think about.
I hope you guys are as intrigued as I am!