Are you interested in getting involved to make UBC a better place to learn?
LIVING LAB develops and performs short interactive theatre sketches on difficult classroom situations that involve members of the UBC community in conversations about the complexities and challenges that arise in diverse and multicultural teaching and learning environments. Living Lab is a project under the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology. Our troupe consists of UBC grad and undergrad students from all walks of life. Living Lab meets Thursdays 2:00-5:00 throughout the term. During our weekly meetings, we create plays, learn about equity and diversity issues in the classroom, explore our own and other experiences, play theatre games, rehearse and plan our performances. We perform our plays to UBC teaching audiences throughout the semester. Students who are performing receive a stipend for performances and we try to make sure everyone has an opportunity to perform through the semester. The overall aim is to help create respectful teaching-learning environments for students and faculty from all backgrounds.
What kind of participants are we looking for?
We seek a diverse group of students from all walks of life at UBC, Including:
– Undergraduate students & graduate students
– International students & domestic students
– From any Faculty or School
– Different cultural, ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds
– All sexual orientations and genders
– Diverse worldviews and perspectives
What would you do?
– Commit 3 hours per week, plus (paid) performances throughout the semester
– Engage in a collaborative process with a diverse group of students to devise interactive theatre sketches about challenging situations in the classroom
– Perform sketches for the UBC teaching and learning community, faculty, grad student TAs, students, and others.
– Dialogue with audiences about the complexities and challenges in diverse and multicultural teaching and learning environments
– Become part of a tight community of students: share your stories, learn from others, develop skills and expertise, take risks and have fun!
WHEN: Thursdays 2.00-5.00
WHERE: Irving K Barber Learning Centre/CTLT Office
WHAT YOU NEED: No Theatre experience, just willingness and passion!
Email email@example.com to let us know you’re interested or to ask any questions! We will be in the I.K. Barber Learning Centre, second floor. Come through the library to find Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology. You’ll see signs for us!
Living Lab was developed by Yael Harlap and Judy Chan in Fall 2009, inspired by similar, successful programs at the Universities of Michigan and Missouri, and funded by the Equity Enhancement Fund at UBC.